In an age of large, mass produced cava brands, Vilarnau stands out in polar opposition—small, artisanal, hand crafted. All wine, including the base wine, is made by Vilarnau. Many larger houses purchase base wine and then undergo secondary fermentation.
The Vilarnau cavas date from 1949 and were located in the town center of Sant Sadurni D’Anoia. Vilarnau has been part of the Gonzalez Byass group since 1982. The vineyards where the winery is currently located were bought in 1990 and in 2003 the construction of the winery was started, being inaugurated in 2005.
The name comes from the old Vilarnau castle which can be found on the banks of the river Anoia and which formed part of the Subirats castle, where the vineyards can be found today
The Vilarnau estate is situated 6km outside of Sant Sadurni D’Anoia in the highest point of the area Espiells, 200m above sea level. High altitudes contribute to a slower maturation of the grape, which produces wines with higher acidity contributing to a more balanced ageing.
The Vilarnau estate includes 20 hectares of planted vineyards and the winery manages over 100 hectares on long term contracts. Precision viticulture is applied in all vineyards in which every vine is treated individually to achieve an optimum balance of leaves, bunches and water.